Monday, March 7, 2011

Boudoir Chic

Skirt and belt - JC Penny; Lace Top - TJ Maxx; Shirt - Style & Co (Macy's);
Tights - Old Navy; Necklace and Ring - Steinmart; Earrings - Premiere; Shoes - Madden (thrifted)
When I got dressed this morning, I was a bit apprehensive that this outfit may be a bit to sexy for work. But, seeing as all of my naughty parts were sufficiently covered and I was in love with the outfit, I threw caution to the wind. And I'm so glad I did. I felt a bit more than the appropriate amount of sexy at work (which made me even more productive) and got tons of compliments on the outfit. Plus, this necklace, one of my favorite statement pieces, making an appearance always makes for a great day. AND, the proportions were just right, making me look long and lean(er).
.
Rating - Two Emphatic Thumbs Up
.
This outfit also got me thinking about my newly developed clothing worth theory (which is helping me curb my spending). Before I buy something, I always try it on and then try to put a monetary value on how much I like it. I liked this shirt $10 worth. THEN I look at the price tag. This shirt was $11. But its originality, both for my closet and in general, gave it an extra worth buck and I bought it. But how do I come up with this worth?
.
Easy. I divide the amount I paid for the item by the amount of times I expect myself to wear it. If I can think of enough outfits off the bat to bring it's worth down to $2-$3 per wearing, I'll go ahead and purchase. Then, once it is in my closet, I try to wear it enough to bring that value down to $1. If I wear this $11.00 shirt 11 times, then I've suceeded in my challenge and adequatley valued it's worth at purchase. Currently, it's at $5.50. I've more than succeeded for the skirt, earrings, belt, necklace and shoes :-)
.
I know, it borders on the ridiculous, but I am an engineer after all. Math is a part of nearly every thought I have.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, my dad was an engineer. Interesting folks, engineers. Your top is really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving that color pinklately. That shirt is really cute on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though I think this outfit IS extremely sexy on you, I DO NOT think it is too sexy for work! Loving that shirt! Def worth the $11! (eventhough my artsy-fartsy self can't understand your math workings AT ALL! HA!)

    ReplyDelete