Friday, February 4, 2011

Gradumacation



Sweater - Steinmart; Jeans - TJ Maxx; T-Shirt - Banana Republic (Gap Outlet);
Scarf - Thrifted; Boots - Macy's; Belt - Steinmart; Jewelry - Premiere
.
This sweater is an oldie but a goodie. I bought this right after I had my son, who was my first attempt at nursing. This sweater got me through last winter, probably my most worn item, cause all I had to do was unbutton one of the sides and slide him under to nurse and I was still covered. Plus, I could wear my Baby Bjorn underneath it, giving Eli extra warmth when I was shopping.
.
But after I didn't have him strapped on or nursing, I wasn't quite sure how to wear this. The color was so gorgeous that I was determined to make it work someday. Looks like a belt did the trick.
.
This day I was heading to school (hence the jeans) but I was meeting with an advisor to talk about nailing down a graduation date. I didn't want to wear my typical sweatshirt and pony tail, because part of this meeting involved some begging. Begging them to count my full time job in my Civil Engineering firm as my Mechanical Engineering co-op requirement. Begging them to take the Civil classes that I had taken as part of my associates degree and count them as some of the mechanical technical electives. Begging them to waive the remaining technical electives because of my work experience. All of these items are possible, but at the whim of the person making the call, so I needed to look like a grown up who was taking responsibility, who wasn't just looking for the easy way out. I needed to look like the mom supporting her family while trying to further her education to make their lives better. When I'm in a sweatshirt and ponytail, I just look 12. I think I pulled it off nicely, because I may be able to graduate in the summer of 2013, instead of the summer of 2015 as originally thought. YAY ME!!
.
Rating - Two Thumbs Up (which means a lot for a jeans outfit)

4 comments:

  1. i think this is great! love the proportions and the rich colors!

    Jessica
    Surely Sonsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good to me! I hope you get all your credits that you asked for. That would make a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for standing up for yourself, and for looking so great while doing it! I love the belt over the sweater (hello! tiny waist!) and the boots with this look. You look confident, classy and put-together.

    I know you'll get what you asked for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goosie You look great in jeans. The sweater worked out great. I think teal is your color. Congrats on getting an earlier graduation date. I'm impressed. Full time mommy. Working full time and going to school. I got to get my act together.

    ReplyDelete