Friday, February 11, 2011

Recycled Ties

Shirt - Steinmart; Sweater - Jones New York (Macy's); Skirt - Kohls; Belt - ME (husby's old ties);
Tights - NY & Co, Shoes - Moda (thrifted); Bracelets - Macy's; Necklace - Premiere
I felt like just standing in the skirt didn't nearly do it justice, so I twirled. The skirt and sweater are both OHW's today. The sweater I bought years ago, before open-front asymetrical sweaters were as widely available or worn, and I've never quite felt that I was stylish enough to do it justice. After re-finding it deep in the bowels of my winter-wear, I am in love. The skirt, however is just awkward. The shape is okay, if it was shorter...the length is okay, if more form fitting. The material is very silky, so wearing it in the summer seems impractical (sweaty + silk = YUCK), but it's so lightweight that it's not really warm in the winter. Overall, awkward. I'll give it another try, maybe in the spring without tights and with some sandals.....
.
The belt, I crafted myself, out of my husband's old ties. I saw something like this on an etsy site and thought it was a novel idea. I love obi-style belts because they are both flattering and add a bit of interest with their three dimensionality. I was having trouble finding one in my price range. So, I went through husby's old ties, and took the two ugliest and sewed them together to give it a try. I learned that navy and olive actually make a good looking belt, and that stiff polyester ties are much more useful in this capacity, since silk ties bend too easily. I spent most of the day smoothing the tie back to its original shape cause it was a mushy mess after sitting down. I went to my Mom to see if she had any of Dad's old ties laying around, and she'd already given them to GoodWill. I asked around work and got some of the same responses. So, if anyone has any old polyseter - or equally stiff material - men's neckties lying around that they'd be interesting in sending my way (the louder the print, the better) let me know. I'd love to try this again!
Rating - Two Thumbs Sideways

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the twirl, it was necessary to see the flirty-ness of this skirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the belt...now that I see it in action! :) I'm not a fan of the skirt...you look so cute...and then the skirt. It's a little frumpy at the knees. Bring it over, I'll give it a hem! (Yes...seriously!)

    ReplyDelete