Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Stranger Compliments

How good do you feel when you get complimented by someone you don't know? I feel great! I feel like those are the few compliments which are truly honest and unsolicited.
.
As I started taking more chances after starting this blog, I realized that I was getting more and more of these compliments. And they made my day. I started a mission. Everyday I find something to compliment a stranger on (mostly women). I keep it honest and simple. Sometimes it's their choice of perfume or hair color. But it's honest and generally occurs on an elevator and nearly every woman exits smiling. It's opened my eyes a bit, too. I'm discovering that every woman has somehting amazing about her. Sometimes you have to be looking for it, but it's there. I've also noticed that many women cannot take a compliment gracefully. If you don't believe it yourself, you sometimes have a hard time believing others.
.
I like to imagine that I'm making the world around me a little more pleasant, one elevator ride at a time.

4 comments:

  1. I love that you have done the honest compliment thing. It is sort of like just becoming more aware and using that to make another person's day. I have been doing that for a while and even if the person doesn't get it, I do. And compliments on looks aren't the only things. I thank the bag boy at the grocery for example. After all, he's making my life easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love receiving random compliments! I got a royal blue sweater in December and so far every time I have worn it a stranger has complimented my on it! I do try to compliment people when I see something that impresses me. And I also always say thank you to the people ringing up my purchases, holding doors, etc. People need to know they are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, what a wonderful thing to put into the world.

    I have noticed too that many women don't know what to do when faced with a genuine compliment, even those who obviously put a lot of thought into how they present themselves. What is happening there, I wonder? Sometimes I even find myself at a loss for words in the face of a compliment.

    Speaking of, that skirt in your last post is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that - I always compliment other women (we are far too catty to each other at times) and it makes my day to see a big smile on their faces.

    I agree, women can't take a compliments: you just say "Thank you." Don't be dismissive - it will sure shut down any future compliments!

    That's awesome that you're doing this. :)

    ReplyDelete