Sunday, January 16, 2011

Amendment to the Earlier Resolution

So I started this year saying that in 2011, I would not repeat any outfits without bringing anything new into my closet. I have an amendment to that rule. See, the rule was designed to keep me from shopping and spending money. But I think that clothing swaps or gift certificates are a loophole still in the spirit of the resolution.
.
My mom is an itty bitty little thing from whom I get my apple figure. I'm not kidding...here is Mom and I together at my wedding....she's elbow height.

Okay, okay, mabe I'm exagerrating a bit, but she's wearing heels and I'm wearing flip flops in this picture, so add a few more inches to our difference. My mom is very petite. I am very Amazonian. But we do share in common the fact that every pound we gain goes right to our belly-region (All of my extra height comes from my 33-inch-inseam legs). Therefore, it's very easy for us to swap upper body clothing. Any time I'm deciding to retire anything by taking it to Plato's Closet to sell or to go to Goodwill, I let mom peruse my bag first. I'd say half of my mom's wardrobe has come from me. She's the one that taught me the joy of a good deal and that second hand is new to you. Well, on the reverse side, whenever she comes across clothing that's just a little too long in the arms for her or a little to large, she brings them over for me to look at. Today, mom showed up with a few items handed down to her from her sister and I was able to add a dress, a blouse and a skirt to my wardrobe. All neutral and all good layering pieces. YAY!!

I also have a Macy's rewards card that I signed up for before I got married. I get excellent coupons in the mail due to my platinum status, and the card is set up to give %3 back in Macy's bucks for all purchases in-store and 1% of everything else you buy. I started using the card to pay for things that I normally pay for with my check card, and then paying it off at the end of the month. I started also paying my tuition on it (since it only sits on there for two weeks until I get reimbursed and I don't have to pay interest). So, Monday I came home from work to find $60 in Macy's money begging to be spent. I did spend the bulk on Sophie, but you'll be seeing 4 new items from Macy's in the upcoming month with FREE indicating that I didn't break my own rule :-)

3 comments:

  1. Your mom looks like a sweetheart, just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look how beautiful you ladies look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely photo. I am so impressed by your resolve! You have great style already, so it'll be fun to see what you come up with!

    And yeah, swaps and gift cards are totally freebies. Technically they are things you already possess! ;)

    ReplyDelete