Saturday, January 29, 2011

Can You Tell Me How to Get?

Sweater Dress - From Mom; Vest - Steinmart; Tights - We Love Colors;
Boots, Scarf and Hat - Thrifted; Earrings - Premeire
.
The hat was not a part of the outfit, but I wore it out in the snow and it did a number on my hair, so it became part of it for the rest of the evening. The scarf, vest and boots are all OHWs today. I was told by a co-worker that I was wearing too many colors, and that I looked like I belonged on Sesame Street. I laughed it off, but the truth was that it bothered me a bit. In fact, the conservative engineers that I work with often make comments about my attire, and they are not very often positive. If I didn't have such good self esteem, I'd start dressing as boring as they do. But I like my wardrobe, and I like my choices and outfits, even the ones that don't work. Most of the time I laugh when they joke and jibe, but every once in a while, the insecure little kid that was made fun of for wearing her big sisters' hand-me downs feels the poke a bit too sharply. I was self conscious all day. One day I will truly be able to not let it bother me, but today I am human.
.
On another note, this was my first time wearing this sweater dress my mom gave me, and sadly it's not going to remain in my closet. It's a bit too thick and bulky up top and the neck kinda made me feel like I was being choked all day. This dress is being retired not because of lack of imagination, but because of the discomfort I suffered all day wearing it.
.
Rating - Two Thumbs Down

6 comments:

  1. I hope you consider joining Wardrobe Swap Shop and swapping the dress! It's very cute and I bet you could get something cute (and comfortable) in return!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kasmira, I hadn't thought of that.... something to consider.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the boots and vest. You should put them closer to the front of your closet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually really like this, especially all the great colors!!! if you wanted to tone down colors in the future, maybe pick a different boot in a single color?

    Jessica
    Surely Sonsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry but I think the boots are great, but the lighter colored leather at the top I have a problem with. Maybe just me. I think it breaks up the line of the outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it, personally! If I saw this girl walking down the street, I would think, "she must have just come back from Paris and ahead of the boring city's fashion!" AND "I bet her personality is as bright and fun as the colors in her outfit." How well do you sew? KEEP that dress, girl! Open up the neckline a bit! It's very flattering, and a perfect color for accesories!

    ReplyDelete